Published on September 3rd, 2019 | by Hammer0
Proton Persona 1.6L re-worked by Geely and tested
The Proton Persona nameplate was born in 2007 and it was a popular product with Malaysians. Over the years it saw strong competition coming from Japan and Korea which put a strain on its sales.
Now comes a revised Proton Persona and this 2nd generation Persona has some surprises up its sleeve. We share with you 10 solid reasons why you need to visit a Proton showroom and take this all Geely Engineered Persona for a test drive before dismissing it for a more expensive alternative. Especially in its troubling economy.
Here are the 12 reasons to visit a Proton showroom and try this re-engineered sedan.
- Under the bonnet is a 1.6L VVT engine that is supported by ECO Drive Assist.
- This Persona comes with keyless entry and ignition.
- This Persona has 7-cupholders despite having seats and seatbelts for just 5 passengers. So, free 2 extra cupholders.
- Luggage space is great at an impressive 510-litres.
- This Persona has been awarded with a 5-Star ASEAN NCAP rating across all its variants.
- The premium version of this Persona gets 6-airbags. No other car priced below RM55k gets 6-airbags.
- Passengers in the Persona have 2 USB chargers in the rear……..and the driver gets 1 USB charger in front.
- This Persona is equipped with a comprehensive list of active and passive safety features such as Electronic Stability Control (ESC) with Traction Control System, Brake Assist, Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), Hill-hold Assist, ISOFIX and top tether.
- There is a 5-years manufacturers warranty for all variants.
- You can buy this new Persona from a sensible RM42,600 only. Yes……its nearest competitor is smaller, less powerful and with less cabin space.
- This revised Persona is now priced between RM4,400 to RM5,400 lower than the earlier versions.
- The premium 1.6L version comes with an intelligent infotainment system that offers apps for music streaming, online navigation and voice recognition accessed via a 7-inch touchscreen featuring a full colour display and 16GB of internal memory. For added convenience, the system offers a mirroring function with Android smart phones.
This Geely re-engineered Persona is a well-rounded, budget friendly option that makes sense for any small family. If you’re looking for a car that ticks all the boxes – safety, power, comfort, kit – this Persona is a no brainer. But more than that, it’s the first Proton in a long time that feels competitive against cars that are almost twice its price. Loads of refinement and real thought went into this car, and we are sure a test drive will convince anyone still on the fence about taking a loan for one some time soon.
Specifications Proton Persona 1.6L
Engine: Inline 4, 16-valve DOHC VVT
Power: 107bhp @ 57500rpm
Torque: 150Nm @ 4000rpm
Transmission: CVT auto
Top Speed: NA
Price: From RM42,600 to RM54,600.