Online Infotainment. The new Passat boasts a standard “Composition” radio system (including 6.5-inch display) as well as the optional “Discover Media” (8.0-inch) and “Discover Pro” (9.2-inch) navigation systems. They are coupled with an online connectivity unit, which is always online (on request) – even without a connected smartphone – thanks to eSIM. New functions and an extensively redesigned menu navigation have been introduced in the “Discover Media” and “Discover Pro” navigations systems. They belong to the third generation of the modular infotainment matrix (MIB3). The superior “Discover Pro” navigation system is now also equipped with “App Connect Wireless”. This means that “Apple CarPlay™” can be used to integrate many iPhone apps wirelessly.
MIB and” Volkswagen We” as one unit. Thanks to the OCU and eSIM, the Passat will be synchronised with a completely new range of internet-based information and service options. “Volkswagen We” is a digital ecosystem developed by Volkswagen for this purpose. It enables apps, online functions and services to be offered conveniently. It couldn’t be simpler: via the “Volkswagen We” online portal, customers receive their individual “Volkswagen ID” with which they can access functions and services such as those of “We Connect” and “We Connect Plus” directly through the Passat’s Infotainment system or a connected smartphone.
An overview of the “We Connect” and “We Connect Plus” functions.
“We Connect” (free of charge) and “We Connect Plus” (free of charge for a year) are part of the Passat package as standard.
A few examples of “We Connect” functions:
- Status information about doors that may be open or lights turned on, the current parking position and “Automatic Accident Notification”
- In connection with “Discover Pro”, compatible Samsung smartphones can serve as vehicle keys.
- It is also possible to download “In-Car apps” such as “We Park” (cash-free parking) and “We Experience” (special offers from restaurants, shops or filling stations) via the Infotainment system.
“We Connect Plus” contains additional functions (depending on equipment) such as
- an online anti-theft alarm and online auxiliary heater – controlled by smartphone with the “We Connect” app.
- The Plus range also includes Online Route Calculation, Online Map Update and, of course, Online Voice Control.
- In addition, the internet radio and Apple Music and TIDAL streaming services can be used with an optionally bookable data volume.
- With “We Connect Plus”, “We Deliver” can also be booked in order to make the Passat the recipient of deliveries and services.
The In-Car apps (“WE Park”, “We Experience” and “We deliver”) are being launched to market with the Passat in certain regions in Germany with selected partners.